With a bit of time to spare at the moment, I thought that I would try and teach myself how to work a vintage dress pattern. I have only ever made one dress before and that was from a modern pattern.
So, when I came across one on Etsy, in a larger size and for a decent price, I thought I would give it a bash. I made a mock up from a thrifted duvet, and then I set to work on proper material.
I am pleased I had a bash before using decent material - which actually only cost me £1 from a carboot sale - because it made me a lot more confident of when making something I could wear in the street.
But, before I could begin, I had to clear the work surface. Of this...
The Moof sure do like to be in and on everything I am trying to work on. I shooed him and his fluffy pants away and got to work.
I learnt my lessons from my previous make, and used the table as opposed to the floor and my knees.
And once all the bits were cut out, I set to hemming. I find something very therapeutic in making neat lines with pins.
I am a bit of a scatterbrain when it comes to making sure things are okay. So. I kept checking that I did, in fact, have my right sides together before sewing into place.
Close up of thumb! *Gaaaaaah!*
I plan on making a copy of this pattern in something a little more durable. If anyone has any tips - I would love to hear. I made sure it was all folded up neatly and protected from the Moof. Who would of quite liked to of made a bed on it's rustleness.
Once I had made the top and bottom, it was time to join them together. Which is something I have fluffed on the other occasions I have made a frock. The instructions were not clear, and it took a lot for my brain to work out. Sigh.
But, I finally got there, despite them not matching up exactly. I panicked about that for a while, until I realised that this mistake enabled me to custom size it with the aid of some hand-stitching.
It was then time for some embellishments. I am no where near proficient enough to tackle button holes, so I just stitched them on. Cheeky cheat.
But I did sew on some grosgrain ribbon in a luscious chocolate brown.
And then I thought about a brooch to wear with it. I picked this 1940's beauty up at a local car-boot for 20p. Yes. Twenty pence.
There are still bargains to be had out there folks.
And my cheeky stitched on buttons, which remind me of the moon from... errr.. Button Moon
And so - this is the result.... of my Home-Made Dressing..
I am not usually a trumpet tooter - but - I have to say - I am rather bloody proud of myself.
I teamed it with a knitted bolero, my trusty brown heels and a scrummy dark green hat that I picked up from the high-street (M&S I think). I had not actually worn it out of the house since buying it back in the winter months.
And here is me, leaning up against a wooden wall. Natch.
Roll on more warm weather, as I think this could look rather nice with sandals, sunnies and a big straw hat.
Have a good week folks!